Common name: Deadly Nightshade
Causes and symptoms for Belladonna
- Belladonna is a chief remedy for fever, neuralgia and pain. Fever is sudden and violent in onset. Fever is caused due to draught of air, cold wind, uncovering head and exposure to summer sun. There is sudden rise of temperature with red face and throbbing of carotids.
- Pulse is strong and quick. There is intense burning heat internally and externally. Sweat only on covered parts and on head. Extremities usually cold during fever.
- There is confusion of mind, anxiety and trembling with furious delirium during fever. Belladonna is also helpful in any other inflammatory condition like tonsillitis, appendicitis, conjunctivitis, meningitis, rheumatism etc. There is stupefying stunning pain from neck to head with heat and pulsation. Head is inclined to bend backward, boring the head into the pillow. Spasmodic distortion of face and lips, grinding of teeth, with inclination to bite.
- Belladonna has marked action in treating headache due to cold or heat of sun, from haircut. Sudden and violent headache. Intense periodical nervous congestive headache. Rush of blood to head with pulsation of cerebral arteries. Jerking headache worse from slight motion, jar, noise light, touch, lying down. Better by tight bandage. Belladonna also helps in vertigo caused by stooping or rising after stooping or change of position. Vertigo with tendency to fall left side or backwards. Belladonna also helps in air sickness.
- Belladonna also helps in treating many gastro-intestinal problems. Mouth is dry with or with out thirst. There is tremor and stammering speech. Great dryness of throat with redness and burning, worse on right side. Cervical glands are suddenly inflammed.
- There is nausea and vomiting after eating and drinking. Vomiting of undigested food with much bile, spasmodic pain in epigastric region. Belladonna is also useful in pain due to gall stones. Tenderness of abdomen, cannot bear slightest touch. Abdomen is painful and distended.
- Belladonna is also useful in skin conditions like boils and acne. It is useful in boils in first stage before pus formation. There is redness, swelling and heat of the part. Skin shows a uniform, smooth, shining scarlet redness. Skin is dry, hot and burning. Painful sensitiveness of the skin to contact
- Belladonna acts upon every part of the nervous system, producing active congestion, furious excitement, perverted special senses, twitching, convulsions and pain. It has a marked action on the vascular system, skin and glands. Belladonna always is associated with hot, red skin, flushed face, glaring eyes, throbbing carotids, excited mental state, hyperaesthesia of all senses, delirium, restless sleep, convulsive movements, dryness of mouth and throat with aversion to water, neuralgic pains that come and go suddenly.
- Heat, redness, throbbing and burning. Great children's remedy. Epileptic spasms followed by nausea and vomiting. Scarlet fever and also prophylactic. Exophthalmic goiter (goiter swelling of neck with protrusion of eyes). Belladonna also corresponds to the symptoms of "air-sickness" in aviators. Belladonna has no thirst, anxiety or fear. Belladonna stands for violence of attack and suddenness of onset.
- Often emotionally balanced with fits of anger, etc.
- Senses acute. Sensitive to light, noise, jar.
- Irritability. Sudden fits of anger.
- Fear of dogs.
- Want to hit people, pull their hair, spit, bite.
- Knocks head against the wall.
- Attempt to escape; desire to hide.
- Violent impulses and mania.
- Vivid emotions, imaginations, Patient lives in a world of his own, engrossed by specters and visions and oblivious to surrounding realities
- While the retina is insensible to actual objects, a host of visual hallucinations throng about him and come to him from within.
- He is acutely alive and crazed by a flood of subjective visual impressions and fantastic illusions. Hallucinations; sees monsters, hideous faces. Delirium; frightful images; furious; rages, bites, strikes; desire to escape.
- Loss of consciousness. Disinclined to talk. Perversity, with tears. Acuteness of all senses. Changeableness.
- Robust, vital, plethoric.
- Circulation: CONGESTION, flushes, PULSATING PAINS. High blood pressure.
- Pains (esp. neuralgic) come and go suddenly.
- Convulsions, twitches.
-Worse RIGHT SIDE.
- Worse 3 P.M.
- Worse JAR, MOTION; noise, light, touch.
- Worse Heat, sun.
- Worse Draft, cold after being overheated.
- Worse Sudden change of temperature.
- Worse Hormonal changes, menses.
- Better LYING ON ABDOMEN, pressure.
- Better semi erect position, covering the head.
- SUDDEN onset. Violent attack.
- HIGH FEVER.
- BURNING HEAT; BRIGHT RED DISCOLORATION.
- THROBBING PAINS, DRYNESS.
- HOT HEAD WITH COLD EXTREMITIES.
- Eyes glistening. Wild look.
- Go easily into delirium, hallucinations.
Food and drinks
- Desire: LEMONADE, LEMONS.
- Pain especially in forehead, also occiput, and temples PULSATING, throbbing, hammering Worse: RIGHT SIDE, LIGHT, NOISE, JAR, SUN, MOTION, bending forward Better: Cold applications, dark room, pressure, sitting, after cutting hair; due to hormonal changes. Boring of head into pillow; drawn backward and rolls from side to side.
-Vertigo: Worse TURNING IN BED, moving head.
- Pain as if head bursts open in hypertension.
-Sinusitis: sensation of heaviness Worse: slight touch, stooping Better: hard pressure
-Cold feet during headache
- Palpitation reverberating in head with labored breathing
- Hair splits; is dry and comes out. Headache worse on right side and when lying down; ill effects, colds, etc; from having hair cut.
- Dilated pupils.
- Throbbing deep in eyes on lying down.
- Eyes feel swollen and protruding, staring, brilliant; conjunctiva red; dry, burn; shooting in eyes.
- Ocular illusions; fiery appearance. Diplopia, squinting, spasms of lids.
- Sensation as if eyes were half closed. Eyelids swollen. Fundus congested
- Otitis (ear infection) worse right side; throbbing pain.
- Menniere’s disease: ringing right ear, Humming noises
- Tearing pain in middle and external ear.
- Membrana tympani bulges and injected.
- Parotid gland swollen. Sensitive to loud tones. Hearing very acute.
- Otitis media. Pain causes delirium. Child cries out in sleep; throbbing and beating pain deep in ear, synchronous with heart beat.
- Acute and sub-acute conditions of Eustachian tube. Autophony-hearing one's voice in ear
- Epistaxis (nosebleed): bright red; with hypertension
- Imaginary odors. Tingling in tip of nose. Red and swollen.
- Coryza; mucus mixed with blood.
- Dry, Throbbing pain in teeth. Gumboil.
- Tongue red on edges. Strawberry tongue. Tongue swollen and painful.
- Grinding of teeth. Stammering.
- Red, bluish-red, hot, swollen, shining; convulsive motion of muscles of face. Swelling of upper lip.
- Acne‚: fiery red, big deep painful boils, leaving scars
- Facial neuralgia with twitching muscles and flushed face.
- Grinding during sleep.
- Tonsilitis aggravation right side. External throat
- Dry, as if glazed; angry-looking congestion; red, worse on right side.
- Tonsils enlarged; throat feels constricted; difficult intake; worse, liquids.
- Sensation of a lump. Esophagus dry; feels contracted. Spasms in throat. Continual inclination to swallow. Scraping sensation.
- Muscles of deglutition very sensitive. Hypertrophy of mucous membrane
- Pain ext. to back; better by lying on abdomen.
- Loss of appetite. Averse to meat and milk.
- Spasmodic pain in epigastrium. Constriction; pain runs to spine.
- Nausea and vomiting. Great thirst for cold water. Spasms of stomach. Empty retching.
- Spasmodic hiccough. Dread of drinking. Uncontrollable vomiting
- Transverse colon: colitis; protrudes, palpable.
- Appendicitis, pain aggravated by slight touch, jar and better by lying on abdomen.
- Distended, hot, Tender, swollen. Pain as if clutched by a hand; worse, jar, pressure.
- Cutting pain across; stitches in left side of abdomen, when coughing, sneezing, or touching it. Extreme sensitiveness to touch, bed-clothes, etc .
- Thin, green, dysenteric; in lumps like chalk. Shuddering during stool.
- Stinging pain in rectum; spasmodic stricture. Piles more sensitive with backache
- Hemorrhoids: congested, throbbing, sensitive to touch.
- Retention. Acute urinary infections. Urine scanty, with tenesmus; dark and turbid, loaded with phosphates.
- Incontinence, continuous dropping. Frequent and profuse.
- Haematuria (Blood in urine) where no pathological condition can be found.
- Prostatic hypertrophy.
- Testicles hard, drawn up, inflamed.
- Nocturnal sweat of genitals.
- Flow of prostatic fluid. Desire diminished.
- Affections of right ovary
- Metrorrhagia (irregular meses): bright red blood mixed with dark cloths; feels hot.
- Sensitive forcing downwards, as if all the viscera would protrude at genitals.
- Dryness and heat of vagina. Dragging around loins. Pain in sacrum.
- Menses increased; bright red, too early, too profuse. Hæmorrhage hot. Menses and lochia very offensive and hot.
- Cutting pain from hip to hip. Labor-pains come and go suddenly. Mastitis pain, throbbing, redness, streaks radiate from nipple.
- Breasts feel heavy; are hard and red. Tumors of breast, pain worse lying down.
- Badly smelling hæmorrhages, hot gushes of blood. Diminished lochia
- BARKING Tickling, short, dry cough; worse at night
- Drying in nose, fauces, larynx, and trachea. Larynx feels sore.
- Respiration oppressed, quick, unequal. Cheyne-Stokes respiration
- Hoarse; loss of voice. Painless hoarseness.
- Cough with pain in left hip. Barking cough, whooping cough, with pain in stomach before attack, with expectoration of blood. Stitches in chest when coughing.
- Larynx very painful; feels as if a foreign body were in it, with cough. High, piping voice.
-Moaning at every breath.
- Mastitis (inflammation of breast glands) worse on right side.
- Violent palpitation, reverberating in head, with labored breathing.
- Palpitation from least exertion. Throbbing all through body.
- Heart seemed too large. Rapid but weakened pulse.
- Cold extremities with congested head.
- Shooting pains along limbs. Joints swollen, red, shining, with red streaks radiating.
- Shifting rheumatic pains. Jerking limbs. Spasms. Involuntary limping.
- Stiff neck. Swelling of glands of neck. Pain in nape, as if it would break.
- Pressure on dorsal region most painful.
- Lumbago, with pain in hips and thighs
- Snoring, talking during sleep.
- Dreams of falling; wakes suddenly.
- Position: on abdomen.
- Dry and hot, swollen, sensitive; burns scarlet, smooth
- Sensitive to the sun
- Eruption like scarlatina, suddenly spreading; pustules on face.
- Glands swollen, tender, red. Boils. Acne rosacea.
- Suppurative wounds. Alternate redness and paleness of the skin.
- Indurations after inflammations. Erysipelas.
- A high feverish state with comparative absence of toxaemia.
- Burning, pungent, steaming, heat. Feet icy cold.
- Perspiration dry only on head. No thirst with fever.
- Restless, crying out, gritting of teeth.
- Kept awake by pulsation of blood-vessels.
- Screams out in sleep. Sleeplessness, with drowsiness. Starting when closing the eyes or during sleep.
- Sleeps with hands under head.
- Borax, Calcarea carbonica, Carbo vegetabilis, Hepar sulphuricum, Lachasis, Mercurius solubilis, Natrum muriaticum, Silicea, Sulphur, Variolinum.
- Worse, touch, jar, noise, draught, after noon, lying down. Better, semi-erect.
Side effects of Belladonna
There are no such side effects. But every medicine should be taken following the rules as given.
It is safe to take the medicine even if you are on other mode of medication like allopathy medicines, ayurvedic etc.
Homeopathic medicines never interfere with the action of other medicines.
Dosage and rules while taking Belladonna
Take 10 drops in half cup of water three times a day.
We recommend you to take under physicians guidance.
Precautions while taking Belladonna
Always keep a gap of 15 minutes before or after meals when you take medicine.
If pregnant or breastfeeding, ask a homeopathic practitioner before use.
Avoid eating tobacco or drinking alcohol during the course of medication.